Cancer Center at Overlake Receives Award
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) has granted Three-Year Approval with Commendation to the Cancer Center at Overlake.
A facility receives approval following an on-site review by a physician surveyor during which the facility demonstrates a Commendation level of compliance with one or more of the standards eligible for commendation. The facility is evaluated on 36 standards as set by the CoC.
Receiving care at a CoC-approved facility ensures that the patient will have access to:
- Comprehensive care including a complete range of state-of-the-art services and equipment.
- A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best available treatment options.
- Information about ongoing cancer clinical trials and new treatment options.
- Access to prevention and early detection programs, cancer education and support services.
- A cancer registry that offers lifelong patient follow-up.
- Ongoing monitoring and improvements in cancer care.
- Quality care, close to home.
Approval by the CoC is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to provide the best in diagnosis and treatment of cancer and to undergo a rigorous evaluation process and a review of its performance. Of the 36 CoC-approved facilities in Washington state, only 27 percent received a Three-Year with Commendation award. The Cancer Center at Overlake exceeded the standards in seven out of nine possible areas of commendation - ranging from prevention and early detection programs to cancer outcomes analyses.
Learn more about the Cancer Center at Overlake.