Primary Care Physicians
What is a Primary Care Physician?
A primary care physician (PCP) is a generalist who coordinates your health care needs, determining the best treatment courses and deciding when to refer you to other medical specialists. A PCP could be a family practitioner, an internist, or if you have children, a pediatrician.
There are many reasons you may need to choose a new PCP such as:
- You are new to the area.
- Your health insurance plan has changed.
- Your physician is retiring.
- You are dissatisfied with your current provider.
Selecting a Primary Care Physician
Choosing a doctor that best fits your needs is the first step to good health. It's best to begin the selection process early to avoid making a hasty decision. Here are some tips for you to consider when selecting a PCP:
- Find out about medical training, background, board certification and years of experience.
- Determine your preferences:
- Do you prefer a male or female physician?
- How important is location?
- How important are office hours?
- Do you prefer a family practitioner, an internist or a pediatrician?
- Is it important that your physician will correspond via email?
- Ask about practice philosophy.
- Visit the office and observe the environment and staff.
- Interview the doctor; discuss your medical history and concerns.
- Find out about accessibility and communication style.
Select a Primary Care Physician today by calling our Physician Referral Line at 425-688-5211.
Click here to find a physician in our online directory.