Our Respiratory Therapists
Respiratory therapists are an integral part of Overlake's healthcare team. Respiratory therapists work together with medical and nursing staff in maintaining relatively stable internal physiological conditions (such as metabolic or oxygen levels) under changing conditions (physiological homeostasis) in the patient.
The role of the respiratory therapist is:
- To administer and assess the effectiveness of prescribed treatment.
- To evaluate the effects of treatment on other body systems.
- To measure various physiologic parameters.
- To evaluate the effects of non-pulmonary abnormalities on cardiopulmonary function.
- To relay this information to other members of the health care team.
The respiratory therapist is equipped to serve as a consultant to the physician in the treatment and management of cardiopulmonary abnormalities, and to work with nurses and other allied health team members in coordinating and implementing an overall patient care strategy. All of Overlake's respiratory therapists have a broad background in the biological, physical and behavioral sciences.