Each new mother and her family are unique and deserve special attention to ensure a successful breastfeeding experience. The Childbirth Center’s nursing and medical staff have years of experience in maternal/infant nursing and breastfeeding education. Our certified lactation consultants are available seven days a week while you are in the hospital and by phone or appointment at our Women’s Clinics after you return home.
The Women's Clinic at Overlake supports each woman's decision to breastfeed. The Clinic's goal is to assist breastfeeding families by providing education about breastfeeding's many benefits, initiating and maintaining the breastfeeding process, infant nutrition, and managing breastfeeding in special situations including multiple and premature births.
International board-certified lactation consultants and lactation specialists are available to provide breastfeeding support services upon request from patients, nursing and medical staff. You may make as many lactation appointments with us as needed. In addition, you do not have to deliver your baby at Overlake in order to meet with our lactation consultants, all mothers are welcome to use our services.
To make an appointment to see a lactation consultant, or to get information about what to expect of a lactation appointment or retail breastfeeding supplies, call 425-688-5389.
Before Your Baby is Born
Our prenatal breastfeeding class will help you prepare for breastfeeding. For more information or to register, call 425-688-5259, or register online
During Your Hospital Stay
Lactation consultants are available 16 hours a day, seven days a week to provide support and answer questions.
After You Go Home
After you go home we offer:
- A postpartum follow-up visit two to three days after discharge to assess breastfeeding and maternal-infant needs.
- Private consultations with our lactation specialists.
- Telephone counseling with our breastfeeding experts, call 425-688-5516.
- Breastfeeding support group facilitated by a La Leche League group leader. La Leche League is an organization that gives information and encouragement to mothers who want to breastfeed their babies.
- Electric breast pump rental and instruction. You can rent one of our efficient, affordable pumps.
- Retail sales of breastfeeding equipment, pumps and accessories, books and videos, stools, pillows, lanolin and more.
- Nursing bra fittings and sales. We give private, personal help to find the kind of nursing bra that is right for you.
- Free baby-weight station.
Feeding Your Special Needs Baby
Overlake’s Outpatient Nutrition Services has registered dietitians specially trained in the unique nutrition needs of neonates and premature infants. They can assess an infant’s overall status and provide nutrition recommendations to help ensure appropriate growth and development.
An order from your child’s physician is necessary to make an appointment. Learn more about Overlake's Infant Nutrition Clinic or call 425-688-5485.