Welcome and thank you for your interest in volunteering at Overlake. Volunteers are a vital part of the patient and family-centered healthcare experience supporting our mission to provide compassionate care to every life we touch. Each day, our volunteers can be seen throughout the hospital, helping patients, their families and guests.
Volunteering at Overlake offers a unique opportunity rarely found in other healthcare facilities. Volunteers provide support in a variety of settings. They are often the first and last contact for our patients, their families and visitors. Volunteer support includes greeting visitors at our information desks, working with patients in medical units, emergency services, surgery recovery, healing arts and administrative departments.
As valued and respected members of the Overlake team, we offer generous benefits for our volunteers including:
- Annual volunteer recognition celebration.
- Free beverage and meal on volunteer day.
- Free parking 24/7.
- Free medical screening and annual flu shot.
- Annual holiday celebration.
- Reference for employment or service hours (at discretion of department).
- Reference for college application and service hours.
Interested in Becoming a Volunteer?
Overlake is an equal opportunity employer that strives to match qualified applicants with hospital needs. Volunteers provide service gratuitously without compensation or promise of employment.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Be able to make a minimum 100-hour commitment, which equals one, four-hour shift per week for approximately six to seven months.
- Complete an online application.
- Complete an interview, background and reference checks, and a required medical screening before volunteering.
- Meet the qualification(s) of an assignment.
Special Volunteer Programs
- College Summer Program: Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Summer college students must be able to make a minimum commitment of eight full weeks of service filling four-hour shifts, three to four times per week.
- Summer High School Program: Applications are not currently being accepted.
- The Teen Summer Volunteer Program at Overlake provides an opportunity for teens ages 16–18 years old currently enrolled in high school or a high school program to volunteer in a healthcare setting over a period of five weeks from late June to late July.
- “Overlake has provided outstanding care for me and my family. I want to show my appreciation by volunteering.”
- “At age 86, feeling useful is quite important. I get an abundance of that at Overlake.”
- “I have a great dog; she brings smiles and companionship to patients through Pet Therapy.”
- “I could not get into nursing school even though I had a 4.0 GPA because I had never been in the hospital setting, so I started volunteering on the Medical Surgical floor and I have been accepted to Seattle University and chosen an area of interest because of my experience at Overlake.”