Recipe: Protein-Packed Salad for Expecting Moms
January 01, 2023
About 300 extra calories are needed every day to maintain a healthy pregnancy. These calories should come from a balanced diet of protein, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Overlake Certified Clinical Dietitian Sumathi Sridhar shares her favorite, protein-packed recipe for expecting moms.
Green Gram Salad
By: Sumathi Sridhar, Certified Clinical Dietitian
- 1 ½ cups green gram (also known as mung beans) or sprouted green gram.
- ½ cup onion.
- 1 ½ cup cucumber.
- 1 ½ cup tomato.
- 1 cup lettuce.
- Salt as needed.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons roasted chia seeds.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons flax seeds.
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice.
- Salt to taste.
- Black pepper or red chili flakes, if desired.
- Chop onion, tomato and cucumber. Shred lettuce. Add items into a mixing bowl.
- Add green gram (sprouted or soaked) to the chopped vegetables. If using dry green gram, soak in 2 cups of lukewarm water for at least 8 hours. Then, rinse and discard the water and use the soaked green gram. Sprouted green gram should be available in stores or can be made at home.
- Add salt and lemon juice.
- Toss all the ingredients together.
- Add roasted peanuts, chia seeds and flax seeds.
- Crushed black pepper or red chili flakes can be added for taste if desired.
Serves 2; Calories 240 kcals; 15 gm protein; Sodium 150 mg
- For additional pregnancy health tips, consider signing up for one of Overlake's free Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby classes. Visit overlakehospital.org/classes to view upcoming dates/times.