What to Expect
The goal of our interdisciplinary team — comprised of a physician, nurse practitioner, social worker and chaplain — is to improve quality of life for patients and their families by providing relief from symptoms, pain and stress, whatever their diagnosis may be. Our team works with a patient’s other healthcare providers to offer an extra layer of support.
At Overlake, our team can help with:
- Expert management of pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, constipation, and sleep problems.
- Understanding what to expect throughout illness.
- Evaluating treatment options and establishing treatment goals.
- Social and spiritual support.
- Help with stress and uncertainty of serious illness.
- Obtaining community resources and education.
- Improved communication and coordination with all healthcare providers.
- Education and assistance with advance care planning.
We most often work with those who have:
- Chronic, progressive or complex medical conditions.
- Suffer from pain or other symptoms due to a serious illness.
- Experienced multiple visits to the emergency room or readmissions to the hospital for the same concerns.
- Patient family members are experiencing psychosocial, spiritual or caregiver distress.
- Need help understanding what to expect over the course of their serious illness and need support with decision making and treatment goals.