Overlake Medical Center & Clinics Achieves National Awards for Excellence in Gynecologic Surgery, Cardiac Surgery, Bariatric Surgery & More
October 25, 2022
Leading independent healthcare ratings organization Healthgrades names Overlake among the top 10% in the nation for Cardiac Surgery in 2023 and the only hospital in a four-state region of Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho (WAMI) to achieve both its 2023 Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award and 2022 Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award.
Healthgrades’ Specialty Excellence Awards recognize hospitals with superior performance in specific specialty lines and specialty focus areas. Among its findings: Overlake is the only hospital in Washington to achieve both the Healthgrades 2023 Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award and the 2022 Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award.
“Overlake is honored to once again receive recognition for our exceptional surgical outcomes,” says J. Michael Marsh, Overlake president and CEO. “These awards are a testament to the commitment of Overlake’s physicians, nurses and other vital team members to provide our community with the highest level of compassionate, safe care.”
Overlake is pleased to receive Healthgrades’ recognition for these specialties:
- Five-Star Recipient for Overall Bariatric Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023).
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2023 Cardiac Surgery Excellence Award.™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiac Surgery in 2023.
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery for 5 Years in a Row (2019-2023).
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 5 Years in a Row (2018-2022).
- Recognized by Healthgrades for Superior Performance in Gynecologic Surgery for 5 Years in a Row (2018-2022).
- Named Among the Top 5% of Hospitals Evaluated for Gynecologic Surgery for 5 Years in a Row (2018-2022).
- Five-Star Recipient for Hysterectomy for 8 Years in a Row (2015-2022).
Orthopedics and Neurosurgery:
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery in 2023.
- Five-Star Recipient for Carotid Procedures in 2023.
- Five-Star Recipient for Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries for 2 Years in a Row (2022-2023).
- Five-Star Recipient for Appendectomy for 3 Years in a Row (2021-2023).
“We want to provide information to make finding a healthcare specialist an easier experience for consumers,” says Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science, Healthgrades. “Patients can feel confident knowing that hospitals that are recognized for their performance in these specialty areas provide high-quality care and superior outcomes.”
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures as well as outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states.
Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated with star ratings: 5-star (statistically significantly better outcomes than expected), 3-star (not statistically different outcomes from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse outcomes than expected).
To view Healthgrades’ complete methodology, please visit: healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology