The Childbirth Center’s nursing and medical staff have years of experience in maternal/infant nursing and breastfeeding education. Our certified lactation consultants are available seven days a week while you are in the hospital and by phone or appointment at our Mom and Baby Care Center after you return home.
The Mom & Baby Care Center at Overlake supports each woman's decision to breastfeed. The Center's goal is to assist breastfeeding families by providing education about breastfeeding's many benefits, initiating and maintaining the breastfeeding process, infant nutrition and managing breastfeeding in special situations including multiple and premature births.
International board-certified lactation consultants and lactation specialists are available to provide breastfeeding support services upon request from patients, nursing and medical staff. You may make as many lactation appointments with us as needed. In addition, you do not have to deliver your baby at Overlake in order to meet with our lactation consultants — all mothers are welcome to use our services.
To make an appointment to see a lactation consultant, or to get information about what to expect of a lactation appointment or retail breastfeeding supplies, read below or call (425) 688-5389.
Before Your Baby Is Born
Our prenatal breastfeeding class will help you prepare for breastfeeding. For more information or to register, call (425) 688-5259 or register for classes online.
During Your Hospital Stay
Lactation consultants are available 16 hours a day, seven days a week to provide support and answer questions.
After You Go Home
After you go home we offer:
- A postpartum follow-up visit two to three days after discharge to assess breastfeeding and maternal-infant needs. Kaiser Permanente patients will have this visit with their pediatrician.
- Private consultations with our lactation specialists. Kaiser Permanente patients will have this visit with a Kaiser lactation consultants.
- Telephone counseling with Overlake's breastfeeding experts, by calling (425) 688-5516.
- After Baby Comes Support Groups led by an internationally board certified lactation consultant nurse for information and encouragement to new families.
- Electric breast pump rental and instruction. You can rent one of our efficient, affordable pumps.
- Retail sales of breastfeeding equipment, pumps and accessories, books and videos, stools, pillows, lanolin and more.
- Nursing bra fittings and sales. We give private, personal help to find the kind of nursing bra that is right for you.
- Free baby-weight station.
- OBaby app: Overlake's free smartphone app for new parents that includes feeding tracking tools and helpful articles on breastfeeding. Download OBaby today.
Breastfeeding and milk supply are assessed and baby’s growth is assessed. We provide one-on-one consultations and try to meet mom’s goals for feeding.
At your lactation appointment you may expect:
- Baby weight check
- An observed feeding
- Troubleshooting of any nursing issues
- A feeding plan to be established
- Breastfeeding education
- Lactation consultant suggestions
You may make as many lactation appointments with us as needed. Additionally, you do not have to deliver your baby at Overlake in order to meet with our lactation consultants. All mothers are welcome to use our services.
Our registered nurses have each received the International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) distinction.
Certified Bra Fittings
Make nursing easier by obtaining a certified bra fitting. We are the only certified bra fitting establishment on the Eastside. You will be fit by knowledgeable staff who are lactation educators and know how to fit a nursing bra so as not to compromise lactation. No appointment needed.
Breast Pump Sales & Rentals
We offer the best breast pumps and kits for pumping, and offer hospital-grade Medela Symphony Pumps (yellow) for rent. We also have Medela parts, tubing, faceplates, diaphragms, vehicle lighter adapters, battery packs and foreign travel conversion kits.
What makes us different from retail and online stores is that we are able to provide you with education and training for using your breast pump that other stores do not. Our highly-trained lactation education specialists are available to answer all of your questions.
We are proud to provide personalized service and competitive rates. Stop by our Bellevue location and discover the right pump for your specific needs.
Breast Pump Parts Sales
Looking for a part for your Medela pump? We carry a wide assortment of Medela parts and accessories.
For questions about rates or to extend your breast pump rental, call (425) 688-5819.
Feeding Your Special Needs Baby
Overlake’s Outpatient Nutrition Services has registered dietitians specially trained in the unique nutrition needs of neonates and premature infants. They can assess an infant’s overall status and provide nutrition recommendations to help ensure appropriate growth and development.
Donor Milk Depot & Distribution
Mothers and babies who have been discharged from the hospital are able to purchase donor milk from the Overlake Mom & Baby Care Center when the infant has a medical need. This milk is also available to those who are not Overlake patients.
Families who would like to purchase donor milk should obtain a prescription from their provider, including baby’s name, date of birth, diagnosis code and volume needed, and call the Overlake Mom & Baby Care Center at (425) 688-5389 to assure donor milk is available.
Overlake also has a milk depot, where prescreened moms can donate their breast milk for infants in need. Call the Overlake Mom & Baby Care Center at (425) 688-5389 for more information.