One Gentle Reassurance at a Time
Cancer is a day-to-day journey of ups and downs, of triumphs and tribulations. That’s why we asked survivors what mattered most on their journey — what helped them heal. And we made sure to get those things right.
Unlike Anywhere Else in the Region
National accreditations. A comprehensive range of services. And a truly personalized brand of care in which the needs of you and your family always come first.
Treating the Whole You
At the Cancer Center at Overlake, we realize that effective cancer care means treating the whole person. We offer an array of services that focus on all aspects of you.
From diagnosis and treatment through recovery, you can count on comprehensive cancer care designed with you and your family in mind. And it's all available in a warm, relaxing environment that feels nothing like the typical hospital setting.
One Gentle Reassurance at a Time
Cancer is a day-to-day journey of ups and downs, of triumphs and tribulations. That’s why we asked survivors what mattered most on their journey — what helped them heal. And we made sure to get those things right. Not just chemo, but chemo in a comfortable environment. Not just specialists, but specialists all in one location. Not just cancer care, but cancer care that includes support and guidance from a personal navigator. It’s listening to survivors that makes Overlake Cancer Center what it is: A center that combines treatment and support in a healing environment. One detail at a time.
Survivorship Event | Thursday, September 19, 2019
The Cancer Survivorship Event is designed to assist patients who have completed cancer treatment and are adjusting to life after treatment. The event will host various speakers that address survivorship issues and healthy living recommendations such as diet, exercise, healing and post-treatment effects. There will be information from Cancer Lifeline and American Cancer Society, giveaways and refreshments.
Your Health is a Team Effort
Comprehensive and Complete
Compassionate care that focuses on "whole-person" health is fundamental to healing and central to our mission and care-giving practices.
While our team has wide-ranging expertise, that's not what sets the Cancer Center apart. Rather, it's the way everyone works together to care for you. Our specialists regularly meet to review patient cases, a team approach that ensures your health is explored from all possible angles. An approach that promotes healing and puts your mind at ease.
Our team includes a variety of professionals:
- Physicians specializing in radiology, pathology, surgery, medical and radiation oncology
- Nurses with oncology certification and extensive experience
- Access to naturopathic physicians who specialize in integrative oncology
- A certified genetic counselor to help assess and manage your cancer risk
- Oncology social workers/patient navigators who guide, counsel and advocate for you
- Professional radiation oncology staff who plan and deliver treatment with state-of-the-art equipment
- An oncologic pharmacist with expertise in cancer medications
- An inpatient palliative care team poised to help you manage symptoms
- Registered dietitians who provide helpful information on nutrition and support you during treatment
- Physical and occupational therapists to help you regain strength and manage treatment side effects
- A massage therapist to help reduce symptoms and ease side effects of treatment and provide a sense of calm.
- Spiritual support through our team of chaplains
- Financial counselors to assist with managing healthcare costs
Read more about our programs and services.
Putting You at the Center
A Single Site for All Your Needs
From diagnosis to survivorship, we consider what it’s like to be you — our patient — during one of life’s most challenging experiences. Offering you outstanding clinical care, emotional support and guidance is at the heart of everything we do.
The Cancer Center at Overlake is located on the second floor of the Overlake Medical Tower. Having all of our services housed in one location means you don’t have to coordinate your appointments across multiple specialties and services or travel to several locations to get it.
Oncology Social Workers Navigate Care
As soon as you’re diagnosed with cancer, we’ll connect you with a key member of your cancer care team: your oncology social worker/patient navigator, who provides support and guidance through your cancer care by:
- Identifying and linking you to services to meet your specific needs
- Providing information and education
- Addressing potential barriers to your care
- Advocating for you with your care team
- Supporting you and your family through the emotional aspects of cancer
Questions? We’re here for you. Please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- My-Linhh Nguyen, MSW, LSWAIC, CDP
- Sarah Matthews, MSW, LSWAIC
The New Cancer Center
Convenient Cancer Care on the Eastside
When we set out to create the most advanced cancer center on the Eastside, we wanted our commitment to you to be reflected in every detail. Instead of spending your time crossing bridges and traveling to multiple places, we provide everything you need, in one setting, close to home. Because when you're fighting cancer, focusing on feeling better should come first.
What Makes Us Unique
- Designed by patients, providers and staff
- Patient Navigators make sure seamless care comes to you, not the other way around
- Clinical expertise in virtually all forms of cancer
- State of the art diagnostic and treatment capabilities
- Access to integrative therapies, such as naturopathic medicine, acupuncture and massage, complement our world-class medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical care
- Physical therapists with enhanced certification and on-site gym to assist you with post-treatment physical changes and facilitate your recovery
- In-depth, unparalleled support services for body, mind, heart and spirit
- Full accreditation by the American College of Surgeons-Commission on Cancer (CoC), the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) and the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO)
Access to the Treatments of Tomorrow
Collaborative Clinical Trials
Overlake participates in a number of clinical trials in collaboration with other institutions and industry-sponsored trials. As a patient here, you may have the opportunity to take part in clinical trials aimed at improving outcomes or quality of life for cancer patients. Your treatment team works alongside our clinical trials coordinator to suggest a trial that is applicable to your cancer. Then it's your choice if you want to participate. We are proud to participate in clinical research, as we aim to help advance the options available for all cancer patients.
Investing in Your Care
Meeting the Community's Needs
We’ve been providing top-tier cancer care for nearly 40 years. We know our community. We also know that the way we treat cancer has changed and will continue to change. The best cancer care revolves around your needs.
In response to the growing and changing healthcare needs of our Eastside community, our $20 million Cancer Center and Breast Center is the first phase of a multi-year campus expansion, Project FutureCare. Offering a unique approach not found at any other facility in the Puget Sound region, the Cancer Center at Overlake brings comprehensive, compassionate care and a holistic approach to you all in one location.
A Fully Accredited Cancer Center
A Unanimous Seal of Approval
Overlake is the region's only hospital to be fully accredited by all three governing bodies for cancer care: the American College of Surgeons-Commission on Cancer (CoC); the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC); and the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO). Ensuring our community has access to the full scope of services to diagnose, treat and support patients with cancer and their families isn’t just our passion: it’s our mission.
Commission on Cancer
The Cancer Center at Overlake is fully accredited with commendation by the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) Commission on Cancer (CoC). To maintain accreditation, we ensure that our patients have access to the full scope of services required to diagnose, treat and support patients with cancer and their families.
In order to be an approved cancer program, the Cancer Center at Overlake has demonstrated:
- The clinical services provide state-of-the-art screening and diagnostic evaluation, personnel, treatment and clinical follow-up for cancer patients
- The cancer committee leads the program through goal setting, development of services to meet the community’s needs, and monitoring patient outcomes and quality improvement projects
- Multi-disciplinary Cancer conferences provide a forum for review of patient’s diagnostic evaluation, discussion of treatment options and collaboration among physicians and other members of the treatment team
- A quality improvement program which provides the mechanism for evaluating and improving patient care
- A robust cancer registry is the basis for monitoring the quality of care, and provides a basis for comparison to other programs in the region and the nation
Approval by the CoC is given only to those facilities that have voluntarily committed to provide the best in diagnosis and treatment of cancer and to undergo a rigorous evaluation process and a review of its performance. We're one of 33 CoC-accredited facilities in Washington state.
The Cancer Center at Overlake exceeded the standards in seven out of nine possible areas of commendation — ranging from prevention and early detection programs to cancer outcomes analyses.
National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
The Breast Health Program at Overlake Medical Center is the first in the greater Seattle area to receive a three-year, full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons.The NAPBC routinely surveys its accrediting programs every three years, and examines the services the program provides to its patients. These include everything from expert pathologists, a full scope of screening and diagnostic imaging modalities, non-surgical biopsy techniques, interdisciplinary care team including integrative oncology, availability of breast reconstruction, survivorship care, specialists who treat lymphedema and oncology social worker and psychiatric support.
American College of Radiation Oncology
The American College of Radiology Oncology (ACRO), formed in 1990, began its practice accreditation program in 1995 in order to ensure that patients needing radiation therapy for cancer treatment receive the finest treatment available. Though the accreditation has undergone revision to reflect scientific and clinical advances, its goal is to recognize programs offering safe and effective radiation therapy.
Accreditation requires a thorough written and on-site evaluation of: practice scope; process of radiation therapy; clinical performance measures; policies and procedures; physical treatment environment; radiation therapy personnel; radiation therapy equipment; radiation therapy physics; continuous quality improvement; safety; and continuing education.
The Cancer Center at Overlake’s radiation oncology program is only one of seven ACRO accredited programs in Washington.
Your Care Team
Physicians specializing in radiology, pathology, surgery and medical and radiation oncology.
Getting to know the whole you
Nurses who have had special training and experience in cancer care.
Expertise in cancer medications
Professionally qualified to prepare and dispense medicinal oncology drugs.
Skilled diet and nutrition experts
Registered dietitians who understand the special needs of patients undergoing cancer treatments.
Social Workers as Patient Navigators
Helping patients enhance their well-being
Social workers serve as patient navigators who counsel and advocate for you and your family members and can help you make arrangements for care after you leave the hospital.
Palliative Care Team
Providing relief from the symptoms of serious illness
A Palliative Care team who provides specialized care to support you and your family through difficult times by focusing on the relief of pain and symptoms, improving quality of life and reducing the stress of your illness — whatever the diagnosis.
Overlake's spiritual representative
A chaplaincy team to provide spiritual support.
Physical + Occupational Therapists
Hands-on rehabilitative specialists
Physical therapists and occupational therapists who can help you with tips and techniques to conserve energy and regain the necessary strength to function in daily life.
Cancer treatment to control or kill malignant cells
Radiation therapy physicists, therapists and dosimetrists who participate in the planning, quality assurance and delivery of treatments
Overlake Ranks Highest in Patient Satisfaction
Overlake Medical Center has the highest patient satisfaction in the state and is in the top percentile in the nation for the way our physicians communicate with their patients. We perform above the state and national average for patient satisfaction with pain control, providing discharge information about home recovery and the percentage of patients that report they would recommend Overlake to friends and family.