The da Vinci® robotic-assisted system is essentially a “surgical assistant” that consists of a console and four interactive robotic arms equipped with surgical instruments. The technology offers far greater flexibility, improved vision and increased accuracy over laparoscopic and open surgery through:
- High-quality 3D images that magnify the surgical field.
- Surgical instruments that increase accuracy and functionality.
- Range of motion surpassing the abilities of the human hand.
- Motion scaled to enable more exacting precision and eliminate tremors.
Although referred to as the “da Vinci robot,” the system does not function independently. It is a highly sophisticated tool that is under the complete control of the surgeon at all times, while eliminating many of the drawbacks of laparoscopy, such as limited field of vision and restricted range of motion.
Da Vinci’s technological advances offer dramatic advantages to patients over traditional open surgery and laparoscopic procedures, including:
- Smaller incisions.
- Less scarring.
- Less blood loss.
- Less pain.
- Fewer complications.
- Shorter length of hospital stay.
- Faster recovery time.
All of this translates to a vastly improved experience for patients undergoing surgery. Da Vinci considerably reduces the physical and emotional impact of surgery and allows patients to return to their normal activities more quickly, often in a matter of days.
Types of Surgery
With the da Vinci system, Overlake offers the most technologically advanced care to patients on the Eastside. Our robotic-assisted surgical program is currently being used for many types of surgeries.
- Colon and rectal surgery.
- Urology: Pyeloplasties, partial nephrectomies, and radical prostatectomy procedures.
- General surgery.
- Gynecology: Sacrocolpopexy, hysterectomy and myomectomy.
- Single-site gall bladder surgery.
- Weight loss (bariatric) surgery.